How does the Leg Wrap Poultice work?
The Decron Leg Wrap Poultice provides a natural herbal remedy and essential oils in a glycerine base that provides an ideal aid to the management of lower limb problems and wounds.
The “Drawing’ agent.
Glycerine is a powerful osmotic agent that ‘draws’ or pulls fluids. The removal of excess fluid relieves pressure within the tissues reducing pain and allowing fresh tissue fluid to move into the area, bringing the protective blood cells, oxygen and the nutrients necessary to resist infection and support natural healing*.
The Natural Antiseptic and Anti-inflammatory Agents.
The essential oils in the Decron herbal osmotic gel have a long history in herbal medicine of powerful antiseptic and healing properties:
Lavender Oil (lavandula augustifolia) has been shown to have strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory actions with mild local anaesthetic actions and a positive effect on wound healing.
Melaleuca Oil (melaleuca alternifolia) has been shown to have bactericidal and fungicidal properties with mild anti-inflammatory actions. It is widely used used in the treatment of many human various skin disorders.
Arnica (arnica montana) has been shown to have an anti-arthritic action reducing pain and stiffness in inflamed joints. It has been traditionally used as a topical application in conditions such as strains and bruises. Arnica has a demonstrated anti-inflammatory action.
How to apply the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice
1) Before using the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice, thoroughly clean the wound area or inflamed limb with a non-irritant antiseptic scrub and clean your own hands thoroughly.
2) Cut the top of the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice package along the dotted line, above the resealable seal.
3) Remove the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice from the package.
4) Use either the whole piece of Leg Wrap Poultice or cut down to required size (make sure it is big enough to cover entire affected area)
5) Peel off the plastic backing.
6) Place sticky side of the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice onto affected area or wound.
7) Place a leg pad or cotton wool over the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice and then bandage with a stable bandage or a cohesive bandage.
Apply each application for 24 hours.
Leave first treatment on for 24 hours and re-assess the injury. A second application can be left in place for up to 48 hours if required.
When treating an open wound, it is advisable to change the Decron Leg Wrap Poultice after 24 hours.
When the wrap is removed it is usual to see a sticky yellow substance on the wrap. This is tissue fluid and the remains of bacteria that have been killed by the body’s white blood cells and the essential oils of the Leg Wrap Poultice which is drawn to the surface of the wound.
This wound should be thoroughly cleaned with a salt water solution prior to the application of another Decron Leg Wrap Poultice
If the condition does not appear to be responding after the application period, then veterinary advice must be obtained.